This is a great recipe that allows an additional 4 oz “Lean Protein” to be added to your breakfast or lunch when using the Medifast plan in order to get in your full protein serving for the day.
For a nice presentation; serve over fresh. salad leaf.
Glazed Tofu and Peppers
¼ Lean protein
1 ½ vegetable servings
• 1 (15-ounce) package Mori Nu extra-firm tofu, drained
• 8 teaspoons sesame oil, I use the dark sesame oil. divided – 8 fats
• 3 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce, divided – 4.5 condiments
• 1 cup julienne-cut red bell pepper – 2 vegetables
• 1 cup yellow bell pepper, julienne-cut – 2 vegetables
• 1/8 teaspoon salt – ½ condiment
• 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced – 4 condiments
• (6-ounce) package pre-sliced shiitake mushrooms – 2 vegetables
• 1/2 cup organic vegetable broth – ½ condiment
• 1 tablespoon Medifast pancake syrup – 1 condiment
• 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar – 1/3 condiment
• 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper – 1 condiment
• Cooking spray – 1 condiment (my preference is always olive oil from a spray bottle).
1. Cut tofu in half and again in half lengthwise. Pierce tofu all over with a thin skewer then place tofu in a shallow dish. Combine 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon soy sauce in a small bowl. Pour soy mixture over tofu; let stand 15 minutes, turning once. Set aside. The tofu will absorb the soy mixture for more flavor.
2. Heat a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil; coat skillet. Add bell pepper, and salt; sauté for 3 minutes. Remove from pan. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil; coat evenly. Add garlic and mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes. Add remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, broth, Medifast Pancake Syrup, vinegar and crushed pepper. Simmer 3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
3. Remove tofu from marinade and reserve the marinade. Heat a grill pan over high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add tofu to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side, basting occasionally with reserved marinade. For each serving, top with approximately 1/3 cup pepper mixture and about 2 tablespoons mushroom mixture.
Modified from Cooking Light to be 100% Medifast Plan Compliant
More Medifast recipes can be found at www.yourdietdiva.com