Tuesday, April 24, 2012
Savory Beef Roast
Servings: 9 (serving size: 5 ounces roast and 1 tablespoon gravy)
Per servingOne Lean serving
Ingredients:1 (4-pound) lean boneless rump roast
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup hot water
2 tablespoons low-sodium Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon beef-flavored bouillon granules
1 teaspoon salt-free lemon pepper seasoning
1/4 cup plain low-fat greek yogurt
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
1. Trim fat from roast. Coat a Dutch oven with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add roast, and cook until browned on all sides.
2. Sprinkle roast with garlic powder and salt. Combine water, Worcestershire sauce, and bouillon granules, stirring well. Pour Worcestershire sauce mixture over roast. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until roast is tender. Transfer roast to a serving platter; set aside, and keep warm.
3. Skim fat from juices in pan; reserve 1/4 cup pan juices. Discard remaining juices. Return 1/4 cup juices to pan.
4. Add seasoning and juices to pan, stirring until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Combine yogurt, mustard, and anchovy paste; add to milk mixture, stirring just until blended.
5. Cut roast diagonally across grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Top with gravy, and sprinkle with parsley and cheese.
Modified from recipe found in Oxmoor House July 2010
Posted by Maggie